[jaws-uk] Re: Please could someone remind me how to transfer scripts from one version of Jaws to another

  • From: "Tristram Llewellyn" <tris-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Nov 2006 10:53:56 -0000

Everyone know that Jaws has an area where scripts are kept.  Each version of
Jaws has it's own set of scripts per version, which has applied to all Jaws
since time.  Since Jaws 6.0 onwards to present release there has a personal
setting folder that holds your specific settings, this means that if multiple
Jaws share a single PC they can sign into Windows individually they can have
Jaws run with their specific settings.
When copying or installing scripts one must install them into the correct
versino of Jaws but also into the correct folder, in all but very exceptional
cases the domestic user should install them into the personal settings folder.
This is reached by opening the start menu, going into "programs" and press J
until they reach the program group of the Jaws they use.  Then press right
arrow or enter to reach the sub menus, select "explore Jaws" and then enter or
right arrow once more.  In this final sub menu select "explore my settings",
pressing enter on this will reveal your settings.

If you need to install some scripts you must paste them into the window you
reached that is your personal settings.  If you are copying any settings like a
set of scripts from an earlier insallation you will need to locate these using
the method above on your previous Jaws installation and then copy them accross.
 One note of warning if is probably innadvisable to copy accross a
"default.jcf" accross from a previous installation because that could cause
problem.

The technique described above is very good if you have a set of scripts say for
Skype and you have lost the download but have them installed for one Jaws and
need to transfer them to another later installation.

Regards.

Tristram Llewellyn
Sight and Sound Technology
Technical Support