[jaws-uk] Re: OCR Scanning

  • From: "John M Hull" <jmhull@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 5 Jun 2010 09:49:22 +0100

Folks,
I am interested in this as well. If the HP scanner you are using is
supplied with its own OCR, as many are, JFW should read it. One factor,
however, is the quality of the OCR. As I said in a previous message,
when I got mine, I found that results were poor until I got a better OCR
than the original one built in to the scanner. In your message, Kevin,
you suggested that your new scanner has not got OCR included. In that
case, of course, you will need to get OCR before JFW will read the text.
All the scanner itself does is take a picture of the printed page, and
JFW does not read pictures. They have to be turned into readable text,
and that is what the OCR does.  So give it a try and tell us what the
result is like.
John