[jaws-uk] Re: OCR SCANNING AND JAWS 10 WITH WINDOWS 7 HOME PREMIUM

  • From: "John M Hull" <jmhull@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 4 Jun 2010 10:45:52 +0100

Kevin,
There are several ways of doing this but the system I use is
OpticBook3600 to which I have added ABBYY Fine Reader pro version 8.
As far as I know, Opticbook3600 is the only  scanning pad that has a
virtual reading edge, in that the frame around the pad is very narrow at
the edge where you place the open book, with the result that the process
scans right into the spine of the book. Other systems, I believe, have a
wider margin so that you lose the last few letters on the page nearest
the spine, which is a  nuisance. However, the system has a cut down
version of ABBYY Fine Reader, and it was not rreally satisfactory until
I up graded to v.8 pro. As a university professor I have to read a lot
of big books and this system has successfully scanned hundreds of full
length books in the last couple of years, and I store them in My
Documents, thus building up my own permanent library.  The system is not
perfect by any means, but it works for me.

I do not know what current prices are like but you will find these on
the web.
John