[jaws-uk] Re: New jaws update using up an sma Update

  • From: "Mervyn Robertson" <Mervyn.Robertson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Mar 2007 16:11:08 -0000

Alexander

1.  Why when the update is installed on an XP home machine, (in my case
an acer laptop), does the desktop icon for Jaws 8.0 disappear
completely?

I'm afraid I don't have a definitive answer but this seems to be an
isolated instance.

2.  If what those users who are contributing to this thread of messages
have installed is an update, then why does their SMA count go back to
zero and they have to update their authorisation to bring their
authorisation in line with the information given on the FS activate
site.

The reason for this is a little complicated and has to do with how
Freedom Scientific were projecting their future version numbers for
JAWS. This has little relevance, however, because the details recorded
on the FSActivate site are a much more accurate reflection of the SMA
status and these counts are only decremented when an actual new release
occurs. As you, and others, will now be aware, the Help information on
your physical system is easily refreshed.

Regards
Mervyn

Thank you for the clarification made in the message I am replying to,
although in view of the experiences of myself and at least one other
list member to date, there are two questions which I feel should be
asked of Freedom Scientific.

These are the following:
1.  Why when the update is installed on an XP home machine, (in my case
an acer laptop), does the desktop icon for Jaws 8.0 disappear
completely?

2.  If what those users who are contributing to this thread of messages
have installed is an update, then why does their SMA count go back to
zero and they have to update their authorisation to bring their
authorisation in line with the information given on the FS activate
site.

In my own case, I had to update my authorisation to bring the
information in my about box of my Jaws 8 in line with the information
given for my Jaws Serial number on the FS activate sight .

Thank you in advance for your answers.
Alexander Shannon