[jaws-uk] Re: New PC - Windows 7 with JAWS

  • From: "Graham Page" <gpage@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2011 15:48:19 -0000

Don't know who you've heard bad stories from but they are probably more due
to unwillingness to learn or bad teaching.  Actually windows 7 is one of the
easiest operating systems to use with jaws.  this is because you don't need
to remember where things are in the menu structure as when you press start
menu key you are put in a search box where you can type the first few
letters of what you are looking for and then choose what you want from the
list of options corresponding to what you have typed.

Deals are changing all the time and the best deal depends on whether or not
you want to buy online or from a shop.

You also don't say whether you want a laptop or a desktop but in many ways
that is not relevant to this list as laptops and desktops both have powerful
processors and plenty of ram so it depends on personal preference.

Go for the best processor you can afford an a minimum of 3 GB of RAM.
Ideally I would choose a pc with an Intel I3 processor or better and 4 GB of
RAM.

Computers by larger manufacturers such as HP, Dell, Sony and Acer are often
competitively priced but they come with a lot of unnecessary software which
you probably want to remove to maximise speed.  You will need to do this
yourself or get a friend to do it.  You could get a machine custom built but
this will probably cost you more though you can specify what software you
have installed when you buy it.

Regards

Graham