[jaws-uk] Re: Microsoft Word query

  • From: "Terrill Reynolds" <terrill1@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 22:59:05 -0400

Hi:
Try the following;
Go to configuration manager, then to curser options.

Press space bar to uncheck Notify when cursor changes shape

If you're interested in hearing how the cursor changes shape in a program. For
example, when the system is busy or processing a lot of times the pointer

changes to an hourglass or when the system moves into an edit field in
Microsoft Word, the pointer changes to an I beam cursor. When the pointer is
over

the title bar, for example, it's simply an arrow. So if you're interested in
hearing how the cursor changes shape and when it does, this is where you

would check this checkbox. It's fun to try for a while and listen to it, but at
times it can be annoying so I tend to leave it off.

If this doesn't work try the following.  Taken from:

http://www.freedomscientific.com/fs_support/BulletinView.cfm?QC=1151

Lines of text near the mouse cursor are lost when scrolling

Product Name: JAWS

Version: 7.10

Category: Video

Short Description:

Lines of text near the mouse cursor are lost when scrolling.

Problem:

When using applications such as Word or Notepad, text may appear to be lost, or
not spoken, in specific circumstances. If affected, you may notice

the following, or a similar, scenario: The mouse cursor happens to be resting
on a line, for instance, the top of the i-beam cursor is centered of the

center of a line of text. As the PC Cursor moves to the bottom of the screen,
the text begins to scroll. When you arrow back up to the line where the i-beam

cursor had been resting, the lines of text there and just above appear to be
missing and JAWS won't speak them. A screen refresh will restore the lines.

Solution:

This is resolved with JAWS 8.0, released November 2006. It is also resolved in
JAWS 7.1.500 Update, a free automatic update available November 8, 2006.

If for some reason you are using an older version of JAWS 7.1, this problem can
be resolved by installing a newer version of the Freedom Scientific Video

Intercept driver, version 10.12.606.0 (or higher). Download and install the new
video intercept driver from the link below, then reboot.

1. Download FSVideoIntercept.exe located at:

ftp://ftp.freedomscientific.com/users/hj/private/WebFiles/Tools/FSVideoIntercept.exe

2. Run FSVideoIntercept.exe, follow dialogs and reboot your system.

You can confirm that you have the updated JAWSVID.dll 10.12.606 by looking a
the version number in the Video Intercept Manager. You can open the utility

by going to the Start Menu, Programs, JAWS, Tools and choosing it from the
list. The static text in the dialog will indicate the JAWSVid version.

Warmest Regards,
Terrill Reynolds
Regular Email:
terrill1@xxxxxxxx