[jaws-uk] Re: Jaws with NHS systems

  • From: Chris Miles <grrenfly@xxxxxxx>
  • To: jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 May 2015 22:41:37 +0100

On 20/05/2015 15:20, Scott Cunningham wrote:

Hi Scott,

Any list members using Jaws with NHS systems, or know anyone that does?
Would be interested to hear of any issues you come across and how your IT
help desk are able to solve any problems,

Thanks,

Scott

Kindest Regards

Scott Cunningham MBE

Visit www.legendstrek.co.uk for information on all of our upcoming events
and how you can make a difference and change someones life for the better!

Hi Scott,

The main issue with work network systems is that most are Citrix based
and unless you have the Citrix add on for JAWS installed at the Citrix
server end and a version of JAWS that will support Citrix you do not see
everything on the screen. I work for a NHS Healthcare provider Leicester
Partnership Trust and when we first started using System One I was not
aware of this fact and tried using this programme with a demo version of
JAWS version 9 and I could not access all of the features. One thing was
that JAWS could inform me that there was say 70 people on a particular
clinic but I could not see who was in this clinic. Another thing was
that when I put in a search for a particular surname I could not read
what was in the list.

I went to my line manager at the time (about 6 years ago) and said that
I needed an assessment under Access To Work but I never got one and to
this day I still don't have access to System One and no-one seems
bothered about it.

We are in the process of going over to Windows 7, eventually, and all of
the Office suite will be Citrix based but supposedly all assisted
programmes such as JAWS is to be upgraded to a version which will work
with Citrix.

Another thing that happens is that if you have a client profile upgrade
working, if the Exchange server is updated then if you have a device
like a Pacmate, which I use, you have to reset Active Sync to
synchronize with your Windows machine rather than the Exchange server.

When we have MS Office 2013 at work I could use Window Eyes which would
let me have access to Citrix straight out of the box but when you work
in conjunction with a Government based organisation you are really
hitting your head against a brick wall because if there's a better bit
of kit out there but the organisation does not support it, then you will
not be able to use it with the network.

Well I hope this is of help to you. I really get frustrated with systems
and websites that are not blind friendly.