[jaws-uk] Re: Jaws ten special feature

  • From: "Andrew Hodgson" <andrew@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Oct 2008 17:04:10 +0100

Hi,

MS Remote desktop/Citrix are designed to allow a user to use a machine as a
dumb terminal, and access the remote machine and run programs on it.  It does
not allow the user who is on the remote machine to see what is going on, as it
runs a separate desktop process on the remote system.  In XP Professional, only
one user can be using the machine, either via local (i.e, in front of the
machine), or via remote desktop.  So, if I was on your machine via remote
desktop, you couldn't use it.

Jaws Tandem on the other hand, allows you to work together co-operatively to
see what is going on on the machine.  The user at the remote end can see/hear
what is going on, as well as the person in front of the machine.  The
connection connects you to the current desktop, not a separate desktop as in
Microsoft Remote Desktop.

MS Remote desktop requires a Jaws remote license, where as Tandem is free for
the moment.

I would use Remote Desktop in more of a business situation, when administering
a server or connecting to a secure/managed desktop environment.  It is not a
support tool really.

Andrew.