[jaws-uk] Re: Jaws IE idea

  • From: "Tristram Llewellyn" <tris-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 18:26:00 +0100

Forms mode if it is a problem has been foxing Jaws since before the
invention of the quick navigation keys all the way back to version 3.30.
Typically though my experience is that forms mode is not usually a problem
for most Jaws users once explained.  In addition with Jaws 5.0 and above
insert+F5 lists the edit fields of a web page allowing very easy access to
specific edit fields which you can press enter to locate and put you in
forms mode ready to go, and if you use tab from there you can do the job
very satisfactorally.

The only people that really struggle with forms mode sometimes are people
who act as helpers or sometimes trainers for Jaws who find the web difficult
with Jaws running.  I find I have to explain to them that what they see on
screen as a flashing cursor in an edit field may not necessarily be of
relevance and they need to apreciate they are driving a screen reader.  In
fact failure to observe this as a trainer would be a real problem because
understanding of the speech and what that is doing is so crucial to
operating Jaws.

If you think of forms being like somebody with a paper form in their hand
and once they find the first spot to fill in they pick up a pen, just so on
the web with Jaws you press enter on a a web field to say "now I'm giong to
filll this in".  Once they have it in their hand they can go to the next bit
to complete the rest of the form.

The quick nav keys in my hunble opinion have been one of the most
significant advnaces for screen readers in that it puts advanced tools very
neatly under the fingers that allows the user to navigate the page
structurally rather than top fo bottom which on some pages is both time
consuming if not a mess.  It takes a little practice and skill but like any
useful tool you need to put in a little effort.

Regards.

Tristram Llewellyn
Sight and Sound Technology
Technical Support