[jaws-uk] Re: Java Script Enabled

  • From: "Dorothy Ingram-Gorban" <dorothy.ingram-gorban@xxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis" <bhawkeslewis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Jul 2008 15:40:24 +0100

Jim Williams wrote:
Hi List,

I would like to visit the following website but on opening
it this message appears:

www.lymediseaseaction.org.uk

"This site uses javascript menus, please turn them back on."

Will JAWS work on such sites and is so, how would I turn
Java on and then off after I've finished.

I guess the most important point to be clear about here is that Java and JavaScript are utterly different things, despite the confusing similarity of name. Here are two Wikipedia articles for you to familiarize yourself with the differences:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Java_(programming_language)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JavaScript

JavaScript can be sent along with a webpage to create dynamic functionality without requiring a refresh of the page. For example, a menu might open when you click or hover over link or some new information might be retrieved and inserted into the page when a tab is selected.

Sometimes such effects works well with a given web browser and screen reader, and sometimes they don't. It depends on how precisely the effect was coded (typically, not with accessibility in mind) and how well the web browser and screen reader used support accessibility features of web technologies (sadly support tends to lag way behind the specifications for such features).

So it's impossible to generalize; try it in a given case and see.

--
Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis