[jaws-uk] Re: JFW sound not working at startup

  • From: "Mike Higgins" <m.j.higgins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 17:36:48 +0100

Thanks all for your help.

In the end, I have finally managed - with the help of Norman's e-mail and
Blazie Technical Support - to fix my problem.

I have a cassette to MP3 converter connected to my machine via USB (with
accompanying software installed). This has been in place for a number of
months now and has worked perfectly alongside Jaws, however after ghosting
my hard drive, I needed to re-install Jaws. When I did so, the software
already in place told the now new Jaws installation to use the USB Audio
Codec assigned to the cassette converter in preference to my computer's
on-board sound card. This was however only the case when the cassette
converter was plugged in.

It was for this reason that the speech worked fine for the first couple of
days after I copied my hard drive and re-installed Jaws from disk. This was
before I re-connected the cassette converter. The re-connection prompted
Jaws to use the USB Audio Codec (which is not attached to any speakers) in
preference to the on-board sound card on startup.

To fix the problem, I followed Norman's suggestion to actively tell Jaws
which sound card to use. Not being too familiar with the inner workings of
Jaws, I asked Blazie Technical Support to talk me through the process.

For anybody interested, here's what I did, step-by-step (for Windows XP):

1) I opened 'Control Panel' from the Start Menu and went to 'Sounds and
Audio Devices'

2) I selected the 'Audio' tab to find out what my 'Sound playback Default
device' was. It is a Realtek AC97 Audio.

3) Then I went to the Jaws installation folder (for me, this is on the C:
drive under c:\Program Files\Freedom Scientific\JAWS\8.0) and opened the
file 'JFW.ini' using the Windows Notepad programme.

4) To tell Jaws which sound card to use, I then had to scroll down to the
section concerning "Synth1". This had lines beginning with "Synth1Name=",
"Synth1LongName=" and "Synth1Driver=".

5) I then inserted a new line after "Synth1Driver=" and before "Synth2Name="
which reads as follows:

Synth1Port=<Sound Card Name>

For "Sound Card Name, I inserted insert the name of my Sound Card. It now
reads:

Synth1Port=Realtek AC97 Audio

This has done the trick and I am now much less flabbergasted. Once again,
thanks for your help.

Best wishes,

Mike Higgins,
Email: m.j.higgins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Address: 1 Portland Court, Sheffield, S6 3EW, UK.
Tel (voice and, by prior arrangement, fax): +44 (0) 114 2258676
Mobile: +44 (0) 7956 856060