[jaws-uk] JFW sound not working at startup

  • From: "Mike Higgins" <m.j.higgins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Oct 2008 22:29:20 +0100

Dear All,
I really hope you can help me please!

I am using JFW 8 with XP Service Pack 2.  I have just replaced my hard
drive, ghosting across the entire contents of the (previous) CDrive,
including the XP Home Edition OS installation.  I am not sure how relevant
this information is, but I include it as background, just in case.

A couple of days after the ghosting was finished, Jaws began playing up at
the start-up of my PC.  I have just discovered that if I close Jaws - which
does start when the machine boots up after restart or a cold start-up - once
the start-up process has completed if I close and restart JFW, the sound and
the rest of JFW appears to run fine.

The Braille Display (a Focus 40) seems to operate satisfactorily from
start-up.  JFW appears in the system tray.  The windows start-up and other
sounds, e.g. music, all work fine from start up.  Using the Braille display
I just ran a trial music file using Windows Media player 10, working from
the Braille display only and it was fine.  I had to close and restart Jaws
for it to work properly with sound though.

Again, I am not sure how important this is, but the JFW authorisation didn't
transfer with the ghosting operation.   Not being too technical (!) I used
up an installation to download a fresh authorisation from the Freedom
Scientific website once the system had transferred, as Jaws appeared to need
me to do this for it to work satisfactorily.

Any ideas about the possible causes for this problem with JFW sound would be
much appreciated.  I have tried, (incidentally) updating the drivers for my
soundcard, but the 'add hardware wizard' advised me that the most up-to-date
driver is installed an that the soundcard is working satisfactorily.

Many thanks for any suggestions.

Best wishes,

Mike Higgins,
Email: m.j.higgins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Address: 1 Portland Court, Sheffield, S6 3EW, UK.
Tel (voice and, by prior arrangement, fax): +44 (0) 114 2258676
Mobile: +44 (0) 7956 856060