[jaws-uk] JAWS and dragon NaturallySpeaking

  • From: "Brian Hartgen" <brian@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Dec 2008 10:46:17 -0000

Hi Robert

I think your experience of 8 years ago is completely different to how currently
voice recognition software performs.  Yes you would need a computer with 2 GB
of RAM, but one of the many reasons behind the creation of the J-Say product is
to eliminate system instability.  We have many customers who have no use of
their hands and who completely depend upon using the computer for word
processing, internet related tasks, dialling telephone numbers, watching tV
programmes etc, all of which they would not be able to do unless the computer
was stable.  Interestingly, considering the complexity of the software, the
number of tech support calls we have each month is significantly low.  I
believe this is in part due to the fact we have a very stable product but also
because of our documentation, which can be downloaded from our web site.

In terms of your ----- query concerning grammar, you would find if you used the
product that Dragon itself is much more aware than it used to be concerning
grammar usage and determining the correct context.  Part of its awareness is
derived from how you dictate the text.  However in addition, dragon itself has
a number of tools whereupon grammar can be analysed and we have built tools
into J-Say as well which help in recognising specific words and phrases.  But a
lot will depend upon your speech delivery.  As Graham indicated, the choice of
microphone is critical when wishing to improve accuracy.

Brian Hartgen