[jaws-uk] Re: JAWS PROGRAM QUERY

  • From: "Carlos Vallejo" <carlos.vallejo@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 Jan 2007 08:56:02 -0000

Hi Wendy
I'm not sure that I quite understand what I am going to paste below but it
seems to explain, up to a point, what you want to know. I found it in a web
page ages ago.

Carlos.

>> DEVICE CHAINING MANAGER (DCM) NEEDED FOR WINDOWS XP

>> In many instances, such as instructional facilities, and households where
>> there are members with different methods for accessing the computer using
>> assistive
technology, it is necessary to install two different access products on one
computer. The software packages used in the area of low vision and blindness
(Window Eyes, JAWS/Magic and ZoomText) utilize the video driver to pass
information to and from the computer's operating system; in this case
Windows XP.
It is my understanding that the programmers have always used this method of
accessing the operating system, but the changes in Windows XP have made it
impossible for them to co-exist on the same computer and function
independently. GW Micro has worked with Microsoft to develop a standard
called the Device
Chaining Manager (DCM), which identifies each product and allows them to
share the same computer without overwriting another company's video hook.
The
DCM standard has been adopted by the companies listed earlier and will be
incorporated in the latest release of their products. <<
Access Technology Newsletter - March 2003