[jaws-uk] JAWS 8.00.2107 and the "Bullet" symbol

  • From: "Darran Ross" <darran.ross@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Jaws-UK" <Jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 1 Jun 2007 01:23:44 +0100

Hi List.

I've contacted the support team at FS with the following query;

Quote: I always fix it so that JAWS doesn't say "bullet" when they appear in
lists
etc on webpage's.

For me, this has always meant going into the default JFW dictionary and
telling JAWS to treat the bullet symbol as a blank space - to totally ignore
it in other words.

This has never been a problem until this latest version. No matter what I
do, JAWS still constantly announces each and every "bullet" symbol as it
appears!

I'm quite prepared to accept that I may well have missed an obvious setting
that will bring my desired result, but I've been through all manner of
options and settings within the config manager to no joy.

If you look at a page like

http://snipurl.com/1mwia

you'll see/hear these symbols everywhere. As this is a site I visit
frequently, I'd sure appreciate it if someone there could tell me how to
silence this unwanted information.

Regards. End Quote.

Now, I've heard back from FS that this is down to the HTML code being used
on the site, and that there's no way for the latest JAWS to silence these
announcements! They say,

"JAWS for Windows version 8.0 handles HTML web pages in a vastly different
manner than earlier versions of JAWS.  For this reason, you will no longer
be able to use the Pronunciation Dictionary to disable the speaking of HTML
bullets."

I'm desperate to believe this isn't so! Can anyone out there - who's stuck
with me through this e-mail - offer up any suggestions?

Many thanks.

Darran