[jaws-uk] Re: Internet Explorer 7 question

  • From: "Tristram Llewellyn" <tris-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2007 09:36:46 +0100

IE7 is definitely more pondorous than even IE6.  In terms of speed Firefox
beats both hands down.  I have I think become a Firefox convert for a variety
of reasons (speed among them) but we only number about 12 percent browser
population and there are some sites and tasks you still absolutely need
Internet Explorer for.  I would suggest if you have a Jaws 7.0 or later giving
Firefox 2.0 a try, it may not suit all though as the access though comparable
it is not identical with that of IE.

Secondly, the thing about tabbing through tabs and toolbars I suspect (though I
could be wrong) is some kind of deliberate design decision in Microsoft.  I
base this only on the fact that something similar happens in the explorer
windows in VISTA wbere if you hit tab enough time you can get the header bar of
a listview.

Neverthelss in respect of IE7 I think this should be reversed as I think most
screen reader users have got used to the idea that you can only access the page
content with the navigation keys and that other hotkeys or screen reader
functions will take care of the rest of the interface.

Regards.

Tristram Llewellyn
Sight and Sound Technology
Technical Support