[jaws-uk] Re: ITUNES AND JAWS 10

  • From: "Brian Hartgen" <brian@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Nov 2008 05:55:46 -0000

You wrote:
There is no need to
purchase the Jtunes scripts for basic operational features of iTunes.
Most of what is important you can do with JAWS 10.0 alone.
BH That is just so not true.  I suppose it depends upon your definition of
"basic".  For example, if you want to select tracks necessary for copying to an
iPod, which is one of the primary reasons for having J-Tunes, the items you
select are not echoed back so you are unclear as to what is being selected.  If
you have a music library containing a couple of hundred songs or more, and you
use first letter navigation to move to an item, you can then not move up
through the list of songs since while the visual focus moves, jaws does not
speak the item.  This happens with jaws, window-eyes and system access in fact.

I am not going to write about it here, but there is a catalogue of issues which
I would define as "basic" where the default support is not appropriate.  That
is not the fault of FS I have to say, and Freedom Scientific do realise that
for the easiest experience when using iTunes, you are going to want the J-Tunes
scripts and they have endorsed this in public forums time and again for which I
thank them.  But it is important to realise that there are problems even with
navigating items such as the track list which could cause some difficulties.

What I would suggest the user does is to perhaps join the blind iPod mailing
list at
blindipod-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
and put the word
subscribe
in the subject line.

There are many people on that list with a great deal of expertise in the use of
iTunes and iPods particularly who will be able to give you what help you need
over there.