[jaws-uk] Re: How to read text at mouse position

  • From: Gary Robinson <gary.r30@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2012 14:03:25 +0100

On 11/10/2012 20:09, Jamie Cuthbertson wrote:
> Hi Gary,
>

> First of all it sounds like you have got Jaws to only speak labelled
> graphics.  This would account for the fact that Jaws is saying blank when
> you go to the line with the graphics on it.
>

> Essentially, what I think you probably want to do is a 3 stage process as
> follows:
>

> 1.     Set Jaws to speak all graphics temporarily in the programme.
>
> 2.     Use the graphics labeller to give the particular graphics useable
> names.
>
> 3.     Switch Jaws back to only read labelled graphics so you don't get it
> speaking a load of information that you might not want.
>

> To turn on Jaws to speak all graphics, do the following:
>

> 1.     When in the application window, press Insert+V.  This will bring up a
> list with a search edit box.  The focus will be in the search edit box.
>
> 2.     Type in "graphics" and then press the Down Arrow to find the results.
> One of these should be "Graphics".  It will either be set to "Labelled",
> "None" or "All".  Press Spacebar on the item until it is set to "All".
>
> Tab round to the OK button and press Enter.
>

> Now you need to use the Jaws cursor to move onto the required graphic.  You
> may still need sighted assistance at this stage to identify the correct
> feature for each graphic that you want to label.  Do this as follows:
>

> Press Insert+Numpad Minus (-) - Jaws will say "Route Jaws to PC".
>
> Then use your Numpad 2, 4, 6 and 8 keys on the Numpad to move the mouse
> pointer onto the required graphic.  You can also use Insert+Numpad 4 or 6 to
> move more quickly along a line.
>
> When on the required graphic, do the procedure below for each individual
> graphic to label them:
>

> When on the required graphic, press Insert+G to launch the Graphics
> Labeller.
>
> Type in the required label and press Enter.
>
> Jaws should now speak the graphic's label when you move onto it in future.
>

> Now repeat the first process to turn Jaws back to only speaking labelled
> graphics.
>

> Hope this makes sense and that it works for you.
>

> Regards,
>

> Jamie

Hi Jamie,

Unfortunately your suggestion didn't work, I already had JAWS set to
read everything.
I loaded a copy of NVDA to see if that was any better,butit was worse.
I think its a case of going back to the developers and chasing them for
a fix to the problem with these particular tabs.

thanks for your suggestion.

Gary