[jaws-uk] Fw: Re: Web site security

  • From: "Kevin Morris" <drewdog101@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jun 2008 17:47:04 +0100

----- Original Message ----- From: "Kevin Morris" <kevinblenheim101@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, June 15, 2008 5:44 PM
Subject: Re: [jaws-uk] Re: Web site security

Hi Dorothy,

I'm not a legal expert (my degree is in history and politics, not law) but I think that we are talking about two separate matters here:

1. Anti-virus software is classified as a product (although its sometimes provided free of charge it is, in essence a good/product which is made available to the public for their use either on a chargeable or a free basis. Therefore it does not fall under the DDA is it is a manufactured product.

2. Captchas appear on websites which are specifically covered by the DDA provided that the site in question is based in the UK, therefore if you have difficulties in using your ISP's site (for instance) because of your disability then they would need to look at making their site more accessible.

As I say, I'm not a lawyer but there is a lot of information on RNIB's DDA pages which should help to explain things.

Regards,

Kevin
----- Original Message ----- From: "Dorothy Ingram-Gorban" <dorothy.ingram-gorban@xxxxxxxxx>