[jaws-uk] FW: A Symantec end-point experience

  • From: "George Bell" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2011 09:19:13 -0000

I though this story from one of my JAWS users was worth passing on for
anyone who may be getting a new system in the near future.

George.

Hi George,

This is one of those Symantec stories with a happy ending. No support
required but something you may have seen before. I have told FS too.
My employer gave me a new laptop yesterday. It has Windows 7
professional
32Bit. The IT people had installed Jaws for Windows on it so I was
very
pleased.

1. I switched on the laptop. There was no speech at the login prompt.

2. I got in with a colleague's help and Jaws promptly started.

3. The startup wizard item under the help menu was greyed out.

4. I then tried setting the speech rate manually and though things
changed
the changes did not persist across reboots.

5. \The helpdesk claimed that they had installed the trial version of
Jaws
as I had requested. The trial version prompts you to activate jaws.
However,
this was not happening.

6. I thought that user account control, which was set at 66% could be
the
problem. Setting it to 0 had no effect.

7. I took a look at what was installed. Low and behold, the computer
was
equipped with Symantec end-point security. I did not check the version
but
can find out if anyone is interested.

8. I uninstalled Symantec. The uninstallation routine prompted me to
disable
some applications for the uninstallation to continue. The only
application
listed was Jaws for Windows.

9. It was time for narrator and a sighted colleague. I got rid of
Symantec,
installed Microsoft Security Essentials via windows update,
re-installed
Jaws.

10. I rebooted and was able to activate Jaws, use the startup wizard
and am
now a happy camper.