[jaws-uk] Re: Downloading upgrades

  • From: "Tristram Llewellyn" <tris-l@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 5 Sep 2005 14:01:31 +0100

It is difficult to generalise, are thinking of particular software in mind
here.  Windows has many, many updates and they are all free and you should
never be charged for them as some unscrupulous sites have tried to do to
unsuspecting.  Only if you ask Microsoft to ship you out a CD does it cost
in these situations, although from time to time you can even get those
gratis.  Other software houses also provide free maintainance updates,
however usually at time of major version revision usually a chargeable
upgrade situation occurs.  One example I can think of up until recently was
Winzip, and also Total Recorder, the former will charge for version 10 of
Winzip even to exixting customers.

Regards.

Tristram Llewellyn
Sight and Sound Technology