[jaws-uk] Re: Disc failure. and Defrag etc.

  • From: "Phil Medway" <philmedway@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 15:43:43 -0000

There is also a school of thought that, putting the drive in the freezer for
a while then replacing it back in a pc can sometimes give you just the time
you need to get the important data off of it.  This method is, however, not
for the faint-hearted and is by no means foolproof.  It is also a one off
chance.

Hard drives should be treated like your most precious pieces of glassware.
In other words don't knock it.  Quite a small jolt can cause irreparable
harm.

It is worth buying a trailing socket with surge protection since power
surges can also cause disks to fail.

After all of that there is, of course, the chance that the drive has just
become faulty without any external interference.

Hey Ho!  It's a cruel life!

Regards,

Phil Medway.