[jaws-uk] DVD Accessibility

  • From: "Marvin Hunkin" <marvkin@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2007 12:14:04 +0930

Hi.
just spoke to David Beames, at rsb, Adelaide.
he says, that using a standard dvd player for a totally blind person,
without sighted assistance is almost impossible, as all dvd players, use
different menu structures, and no computer text to have the speech output on
screen.
and wondering, and will try say playing a dvd on a laptop, and see if i can
navigate menus , and like some of the options, like audio description, jump
say to interviews etc.
just, that in a quandry.
able to borrow a laptop from tafe on weekends, as do not have my own, was
looking to purchase, but buying a new house, a lot more expensive, and other
family priorities, not as an excuse, looking for employment, so maybe might
be able to apply for the work place modification scheme, but will keep you
posted.
so, now, with the introduction of digital tv say in 18 months time, what do
i do?
want to play say tv series on dvd, and borrow from either libraries or video
shops, like star trek voyager, and there are four episodes on each disk.
and how to jump back and forward, find the interviews, and even check for
audio description options.
so, do i hold off, and stay with my vcr, and able to borrow videos, so do i
hold off on the dvd, or do i just go with one brand, or which is the most
useable dvd player, for me a blind person?
any suggestions.
maybe, Graham  from hereoc, maybe can enlighten us, and the results of the
meeting he had with the dvd makers, a few months ago.
not just to try to get all dvd titles with closed captioning, for deaf and
audio descriptions for blind and vision impaired users, but also to be able
to standardise the menu systems, of the hardware and software, the players,
dvd recorders, and hard disk and set top boxes.
as hd tv, and digital tv, comes into australia, beginning of 2009.
so what should i do?
let me know, if any one has been in the same situation, first time into dvd.
my parents, looking at a 19 inch conio, tv and dvd player.
cheers Marvin.