[jaws-uk] Re: Creation of rules in Outlook

  • From: "susan mcdonald" <susan_mcdonald52@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2007 20:49:35 +0100

Hope this is what you are after, had them filed away for a long time so don't know if they still apply.

This is a message to explain how to set up a rule in Outlook Express which
will identify certain messages and move them to a different folder.

You may wish to have all of the messages from the BCAB mailing list
automatically moved to a particular folder.  To do this, do the following
changing the text appropriate to your own requirements.

1.    When in Outlook express, press alt+t for the tools menu then r for the
message rules sub-menu followed by m to specify a mail rule.

2.    If you find yourself in a list of one or more items, you already have
some rules set up for something.  It is necessary to tab to the new button
and press enter.

3.    You are now in a list of conditions, one or more of which can be
checked using the space bar.  If Jaws doesn't speak an item's state, i.e.
whether the item is checked or not, press JawsKey+numpad minus to bring the
Jaws cursor to the pc cursor then try a say line JawsKey+numpad8.  In our
case we need to select the item where the subject line contains specific
words.  Check this item using the space bar and ensure that it is checked.

4. Now, tab once and you will land on a list which is similar to the above
except that it comprises actions to be performed when the conditions which
have been checked above apply.  We need to check the first item which is
move it to the specified folder.

5. Now, tab once and you should land on a line saying apply this rule after
the message arrives.  Cursor down once and our condition should be here,
namely, where the subject line contains specific words.  Press enter.

6. A field now opens allowing you to type the words you wish to be checked
for in the subject line.  In our case this is the character string (bcab).
Tab to the add button and press enter.  Tab to the ok button and press enter
again.

7. Cursor down to the line move it to the specified folder and press enter.
You will now be placed in a tree view of existing folders which you may
browse and press enter on, however, if the folder where you wish to move
your messages to doesn't yet exist, tab to the new button and press enter.
Having selected the new button you may enter a name for your new folder
otherwise, select the folder where you wish the messages to reside, tab to
the ok button and press enter.

8. You are now placed back on the conditions and actions you have completed
and may review them.  If all is as you intend, tab once and enter a name for
your new rule so that you can identify it if you ever need to modify it.

9. Tab to the ok button and press enter.

10. You are now back in the original dialogue with your new rule selected in
the list of rules and may apply the rule immediately by tabbing to apply now
and pressing enter.  Tab to the apply to folder item and select inbox which
is probably the default.  Now, tab to apply now and press enter.

11. You should hear a message after a short wait saying that your rules have
been applied to your inbox.  Press enter on the ok button.  Finally, tab to
the close button and press enter.  If you still find yourself in a dialogue,
tab to the ok button and press enter.

If all went well, you should be able to navigate the folders in your Outlook
express and find any message which met the condition we set, in the folder
which you specified.

Outlook Express as far as rules is concerned, make sure that you have
checked move to specified folder and not copy to specified folder.

Copying will just copy the message to the folder from the inbox leaving the
original in the inbox.

From: "RMPortal" <robertmartin.portal@xxxxxx>
To: <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [jaws-uk] Creation of rules in Outlook
Date: Sun, 26 Aug 2007 17:28:46 +0200

Dear list,

I have seen a number of messages on this subject over the years and have
never taken notice of them.

I now want to eliminate all in-coming messages with "Spam" in their
subject line in Outlook 2002.  I would be grateful for a step-by-step
description of how this is done since I have been unable to do it
unaided.

My apologies for not being more attentive in the past

Best wishes

Robert