[jaws-uk] Re: Check sums was Steve Thompson Spybot Updates.

  • From: "Phil Medway" <philmedway@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2007 16:50:55 -0000

Hi Dorothy,

A check sum uses an algorithm which can produce a long number which
represents in 128 or 160 digits the content of the file.

It is possible to run a utility against a downloaded file which can
reproduce this number and check it against the number produced from the same
check which might have been performed at the server in order to check that a
file hasn't been corrupted during a download.

If you wish to investigate further, md5 and shah1 would bring up interesting
results on a Google search.

Regards,

Phil Medway

philmedway@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx