[jaws-uk] Re: Captcha killer

  • From: "Mark Driesenga" <truthobjective@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2008 10:13:54 -0400

That latter option is interesting. It seems to provide a solution to those who might have hearing impairments of various degrees in addition to visual impairments. I joined Facebook when there was no captcha, but I'm pleasantly surprised at the audio and text options being present, as they don't necessarily have accessibility as a concern. Anyway, back on topic, some have suggested screen readers should implement ways around captcha, and I would strongly disagree--such things would be first of all a security risk, since it would be fairly easy for a hacker or someone with malicious intent to grab a screen reader's demonstration version and use it to do harm, and secondly, captcha isn't a simple thing--it's increasingly becoming quite complex. The reason for this is simply that captchas are being broken all the time. Specifically, since this is a JAWS list, imagine if JFW had such a feature! There would be so many lawsuits, and no doubt there would be international legal disputes of great magnitude!

Email: truthobjective@xxxxxxxxx or truthobjective@xxxxxxxxxxx
WLM: truthobjective@xxxxxxxxxxx
AIM: msd4283
Yahoo: msdriesnega