[jaws-uk] Re: Building Websites

  • From: Benjamin Hawkes-Lewis <bhawkeslewis@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2007 16:32:29 +0000

Barbara Wilson:

It is certainly possible to build websites with JAWS and no sight. All
you really need is a decent text editor:

http://www.benjaminhawkeslewis.com/www/accessibility/accessible-authoring-tools

Experiment to find one you like and that works well with your version of
JAWS. I'd be interested to hear which one you prefer and why.

It's also a good idea to test your content in more than one browser and
with more than one screen reader. Although JAWS 6.2 doesn't support
Firefox, the free, open source screen reader NVDA does:

http://www.kulgan.net/nvda/

I've created a short guide to resources for those getting started with
web design:

http://www.benjaminhawkeslewis.com/www/web-design/getting-started

I'd recommend placing the greatest store in the tutorials and
documentation created by the web standards body, the W3C, and
distrusting other sources such as W3Schools, HTMLDog, and MSDN, which
are often mistaken:

http://www.w3.org/

Hope that helps.

--