[jaws-uk] Re: Braille displays and web forms.

  • From: <tim.pennick@xxxxxx>
  • To: <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 18 Aug 2005 11:13:03 +0100

Tink,

Structured mode tries to put as much information on the braille display as
possible which might aid efficient use, e.g. information about the type of
Windows control e.g. edit box, dialogue etc.  In a dialogue box, it will
display as much of the information from the dialogue box as as possible + the
button which currently has focus.  When in Internet Explorer Structured mode
includes information such as row and column numbers when in tables, as well as
the information about what type of button etc. is currently on the display.

The idea of Line mode, is that it tries to give a more accurate representation
of what the screen looks like. this means that in dialogue boxes you can get a
much better idea of the layout of the box on the screen, and in IE it cuts down
a bit on the clutter on the display, but in IE it doesn't really give a very
accurate idea of the layout of the screen since it works on the Virtual view as
does the speech output.  The difference Lin-mode makes with regard to your
question about edit boxes, is that it doesn't put up the 'ED' prompt, although
it does seem to indicated edit boxes with a Tilde in the first character of the
display.

Regards,

Tim