[jaws-uk] Re: Braille displays advice please?

  • From: "Graham Page" <gpage@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2011 18:44:45 +0100

I think there ar 2 you should look at that fall within my experience.  It
should be noted however that I've not seen any of the latest handytech
models.

I think the newes Brailliant models are well worth a look.  They have a
Braille keyboard that is comfortable enough to type on and thumb keys at the
bottom like the Braillenote.  They also have command keys which are separate
to the Braille display similar to the old brailliant range.

You can input using the eurobraille displays but the keys are spongy and
poorly ergonomically placed for prolonged typing.

The new Alva range of Braille displays from Optilec also have keyboards and
could be worth a look though they are quite bulky and still quite expensive.

Personally, I would go for the new brailliant at the moment if it is
available in the width you need.  Last time I looked the new model was only
available in 32 and 40 cell widths but this is changing all the time and I
believe bigger widths  will be available soon. Check with humanware.

Regards

Graham