[jaws-uk] Re: Authorisation Of Jaws

  • From: "George Bell" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2005 00:21:06 -0000

Hi David,

This question was discussed on access-uk this week, and I
obtained the following statement from Mervyn Robertson at
Sight and Sound.

George.

"Part of the authorisation process generates a digital
fingerprint of the user's system (called a 'locking code').
This will not change unless a major system component is
changed (motherboard, CPU, etc.). This should mean that
reinstalls do not change the status of the number of times
that the user has installed.

It should be pointed out that the number of installs is
nominally set at 3 (the old authorisation disk usually had
an install count of 5). This is not a finite limit but
intended to be a level beyond which 'might' mean that copy
protection has been violated or the product has been stolen,
shared with someone else, etc. We spend a lot of time
discussing different scenarios with users who want to
install on more than three machines and being flexible is
part of the game.

It should also be pointed out that replacement of the
authorisation disk (because it was faulty or damaged)
physically took around 10-14 days. Now the scheme is
electronic, the user can request install count resets over
the net or can give Sight & Sound a call (or the company
that sold them JAWS, who can in turn get in touch with us)
and we can get install counts reset. Much, much quicker than
it ever was!"