[jaws-uk] An observation on Jaws speaking graphics in MS Word

  • From: "Jamie Cuthbertson" <jamie.cuthbertson@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 12:29:53 +0100

Hi there,

I stumbled across a rather odd anomaly yesterday which relates to the way
that Jaws 9 speaks graphics in MS Word.

Some of you may remember an earlier question from Robin Claydon about his
difficulties in getting Jaws 9 to properly speak the dimensions of graphics
in MS Word - in particular earlier versions of Word.

I had experienced similar difficulties and whilst Jaws 7 or Jaws 8 read the
dimensions properly, Jaws 9 simply refused to do so.  I am using Word 2000
on a number of machines all of which behave the same in this regard.
Yesterday I happened to open an old document which had a graphic in it and,
knock me down with a feather, Jaws 9 spoke the dimensions properly.  I then
noticed that when I inserted a new graphic into this document, it did not
speak them!

On looking more carefully at the two graphics, I realised that one of them
had an Alt-text description put on it - this is the one that spoke properly.
When I then added an Alt-text description to the newly added graphic, Jaws 9
then spoke the description and the dimensions as they should have been
spoken.

Essentially, it appears to me that if speaking the graphic dimensions is
important to you and you are using an earlier version of Word, it is worth
adding an Alt-text and, hopefully, things will work properly.

Hope this helps someone out there if they are struggling with this same
issue.

Regards,

Jamie