[jaws-uk] Re: Alternate language versions.

  • From: "Phil Medway" <philmedway@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Sep 2005 13:21:46 +0100

Hi Jane,

I've been trying to put two and two together over your Jaws problems.

It is worth checking with your parents whether their machine is running
Windows XP home or professional and checking with the company you bought
Jaws from whether your version covers that version of Windows.  If it
doesn't, it will probably be cheaper to buy an upgrade to the one you need
rather than buying another copy.

You mention that you tried installing Jaws on your parents XP machine but
could only get as far as a demo install.  Did the demo work properly for
you?  If so, all you may need is the authorisation floppy disk which came
with your version of Jaws in order to make it into a fully unrestricted
installation.  This assumes that you were installing the same version of
Jaws as the one you currently have and that you are using an older version
than the latest one.  The latest version of Jaws, (6.2) requires activation
over the internet.

I don't think that it has been mentioned in this thread yet that the
authorisation floppy disk which comes with versions of Jaws older than the
latest, usually gives you five authorisation keys so that you can have Jaws
installed on, up to, five machines at once.

If, therefore, you have authorisation keys remaining on your authorisation
floppy disk, your Jaws authorisation covers your parents' version of Windows
and, of course, your parents' machine has a floppy disk drive, you should be
able to take the disk over to Spain and use it there.  Make sure, though,
that it doesn't get put through the customs checking equipment otherwise it
might be ruined.

HTH,

Phil Medway.