[jaws-uk] Re: Administrator means what exactly.

  • From: "Mullins, Chris" <Chris.Mullins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2006 09:33:54 +0100

Dorothy
If you computer is used by more than one person, you would set up a User Na=
me and password for each user.  Each person would be granted 'User' or 'Adm=
inistrator' priveledges.  These priveledges  determine what the user can an=
d can't do when logged-in to the computer.  For instance, someone with only=
 user priveledges may not be able to open certain file folders and may not =
be allowed to install new software on the computer, where as an Administrat=
or would be able to do these things.

If the computer is only used by one person, it is not necessary to set up U=
ser Names and passwords and anyone using the computer would automatically g=
et Administrator priveledges.  This means that any Tom, Dick or Harry can s=
witch your computer on and do anything they like to it.  Even if you are th=
e only person that uses the computer, it may be worth while setting up a Us=
er Name and password  with administrator priveledges, so as to make your co=
mputer more secure.   =20

HTH
?Chris  =20