[jaws-uk] Re: Accounting Packages

  • From: "Ankers, Dave \(UK\)" <Dave.Ankers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 16:52:27 -0000

Jim,

Here here, I'll agree with that! In my job I mostly use Excel and
Access, two programs which are standard with Microsoft XP professional.
So JAWS stands for Job Access With Speech does it, well most companies
use Windows professional so why are Excel, Access and Powerpoint not
fully supported?  These are after all Microsoft products.

Regards,

Dave Ankers

Hi Listers,

For those who were following George Bell's description of problems with
accounting packages and maybe other products, I'm enclosing the copy of
an e-mail (and its reply) I sent to FS a couple of weeks ago.  If enough
people take up the idea of contacting FS about such problems we may get
some action.

Here's hoping.

Jim Williams

To: Training_Info
Subject: PowerPoint, Excel and Access, From: jwbr33694@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Products section - training

subject description PowerPoint, Excel and Access

Comment or suggestion = In future versions can more emphasis be put on
solving problems with the above.  In PowerPoint and Excel it is not
possible to access the colour palate to identify colours/shades as you
can in Word.  Also in PP, Excel and Word when you have an image on
screen it is not always possible to tell if you have selected the image
in order to move or edit it.

There are other problems with "drag and drop" with images, especially in
Excel where you can only move in small increments and even then only
With sighted assistance.  This is fine in a college or training setting
but not much good in a work environment where you need to demonstrate
independence.

In Access there is virtually no speech when using Reports can this be
improved please?
Finally, does JAWS support finance packages such as SAGE.  I am a former
Bookkeeper but since losing my sight I have not been able to continue
that career because of the lack of speech on such packages.

Many thanks for the opportunity to put these views across and if any of
the above queries have already been answered please accept my apologies.

Jim Williams

Hi, Jim. Thanks very much for your suggestions. I will forward them on
to suggestions@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx and  you may certainly write there
as well with future ones.

Regarding the access of programs, such as the accounting programs you
mention, one thing you should keep in mind is that, and this is a very
key point, if a program is well written and designed with the common
building blocks, so to speak, that Microsoft suggests, it can generally
be read right out of the box with JAWS. Nothing more is required. What I
have seen in many programs that are not accessible is that programmers
do not use Microsoft standards, but instead, use proprietary or poorly
designed principles from the ground up when they build their programs.
If they do that, sometimes we can use scripting with JAWS to get a work
around. Often, though, it becomes almost impossible to do, especially if
there are a lot of graphical items involved and little or no keyboard
access.

JAWS, of course, stands for Job Access With Speech, so when our team
looks at making attempts to have JAWS read or work better in a program,
we often have to ask ourselves "how many people are affected in the work
environment by the efforts we put into the project?" So some things
obviously get a higher priority than others. Other factors can involve
the manufacturer of the software in question. For example, are they
interested in trying to re-write their software to make it more
accessible, or not? Unfortunately, some just don't care, it seems.

Finally, we are not that big of a company in the scheme of world-wide
companies like Microsoft, Adobe, Symantec, and so on. Our resources have
to be balanced among a lot of different software packages that we
support.

I'm not trying to discourage you at all. I just want you to know we do
appreciate what you are saying and again, I will forward that on to
suggestions here. Hopefully, this will give you some insight as to how
we try to do things, and one of those is definitely listening to our
users!

Thank you again and best regards,

Dan Clark
Freedom Scientific Training Department