[jaws-uk] Re: Accessible PDFs, the acid test. Was: Browsealoud and Jaws

  • From: "John Roylance" <nw.jwr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 24 Jan 2009 21:54:12 -0000

Hi George,

Most useful and interesting.

Norman.
----- Original Message ----- From: "George Bell" <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Saturday, January 24, 2009 7:53 PM
Subject: [jaws-uk] Accessible PDFs, the acid test. Was: Browsealoud and Jaws

This may or may not help, and will depend on a little co-operation
from the creator of the PDF.

First, it should be understood that documents are not created and
edited in PDF format.  A few seconds before a PDF document was
created, it existed in another application such as Word for Windows,
Excel, Quark, Adobe PageMaker or whatever. It may be that you can get
a Word file which would be ideal in this case.

Second, simply scanning a document into Word will only work if, once
in Word, the text can be edited by Word.  This involves an OCR process
to convert the scanned image into text. Otherwise the scan is simply
equivalent to a picture.

Third, like it or not, accept that there is nothing you can do easily
as regards plans, drawings, pictures and such like.  I stress "easily"
and may as well add "economically" to that.

Fourth, the acid test.  Can the resultant PDF be saved as Text, and
does the text in the file appear to be all there?  This does not
require anything more than Adobe Reader 9, which is free anyway.  Open
the PDF file in Adobe Reader, go to File, and select "Save as Text".

There is absolutely no point whatsoever in sending someone who knows
nothing about screen readers two PDF files, one accessible to you, the
other not.  They will see no difference.

Software is beginning to emerge which will examine PDF files, and even
modify the content to assist with accessibility.  However, if text has
been scanned, you have to accept that it is usually no different to a
photograph.

George.