[jaws-uk] Re: AVG query

  • From: "Phil Medway" <philmedway@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 09:07:01 +0100

Hi Paul,

The message you get about AVG downloading the latest updates is normal and
very important to keep your virus signatures up-to-date.

AVG, however, should be running in the background but to check this, press
JawsKey+f11 then cursor down the list of items in the system tray, which
will be displayed and you should see AVG in that list.  You can enter on any
of these items if you wish or press escape to exit the list.

The fact that AVG is running in the background is not the whole story
though.  You need to run a full AVG scan of your system regularly.
Regularly means different periods to different people.  To some, it might be
once a day while others might check weekly and still others monthly etc.
Basically, it depends upon how likely you think you are to pick up a virus.

Viruses can sneak in past the AVG shield by devious means and that is why
you should run a full scan periodically.

One thing you should be aware of is that it is not always possible for AVG
to remove some trojan horses and more technical methods have to be employed.
It may be better to get help for these times.  Normally, AVG will tell you
when it cannot remove something.

Also, be aware that a full AVG scan can take a long time.  A scan of my
system takes around one and a half hours and the AVG window just closes
automatically if it finds no viruses.

Trojan horses, as the name implies, are software methods of sneaking devious
processes in to your computers system by stealth.  Some of these sit in your
system and monitor your activity or download other viruses.

A good anti-spyware checker is also important to ensure that your system
isn't being spied upon by others.

A number of anti-spyware software packages is used by folk on this list but
you would be better learning from others about these since I don't use a
free one.

HTH,

Phil Medway.