[jaws-uk] Re: A Chemical Question

  • From: "Griffiths, Steve" <Steve.Griffiths@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <jaws-uk@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2005 14:06:45 +0100

The characters for one quarter, one half and three quarters exist within
most fonts, and these can be entered by typing 1 slash 4, 1 slash 2 and
3 slash 4 respectively.  As soon as you press any other key after
entering any of these, the three characters are replaced with the
correct single character.

If this doesn't work on your PC it is because a default setting has been
changed. To change it back, open the Tools menu and choose AutoCorrect.
Press Control + Tab to move to the second page of this multi page
dialogue, and then Tab to a checkbox with a label beginning with the
word Fractions. Press SpaceBar to check it and then Enter to close the
dialogue, and you should find you can enter these fractions.

I'm not aware of a way to enter any other fractions in the same way.
The nearest you can come to getting them in a document so that they look
right is to put the first number in superscript and the second in
subscript. On the Font dialogue, the shortcut for toggling the
supercript checkbox is Alt + P.  The result will look okay to a sighted
user, but it will still comprise three characters and JAWS will read it
as such - it might even mistake it for a date so that 1/8 may be read as
August 1st!

I think there are some maths packages which will allow you to create
fractions as single characters that can then be pasted into a Word
document, but I don't think JAWS would deal with these very well.

Steve