[jala-dev] Test framework error handling

  • From: "Hannes Wallnoefer" <hannesw@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: jala-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2007 11:32:44 +0100

Hi list,

I'm in the process of setting up a Jala test suite for the recent skin
enhancements in Helma 1.6. First, let me say that the Jala testing
framework is simply wonderful. Thanks a lot for the great conception
and implementation. (I haven't had the opportunity to use any other
part of Jala yet, but I surely will do so soon.)

The one problem I have with the framework is that it stops testing on
the first failure. I'm not sure what the motivation is here, but I
think this is rather unusual for a testing framework. It is quite
common to have tests fail, also over a longer period of time. If
people only wrote tests for things that alreay work, it would only be
half as useful IMO.

I was able to change the behaviour quite easily by adding a try/catch
statement within the loop that runs the tests. It's quite simple, and
I don't think it should cause any problems.

BTW, this issue was also mentioned by one novice Helma developer with
a solid testing background here at Systemone as a problem he saw with
the Jala testing framework. If this could be fixed, he'd really really
like Helma a whole :-)