[iyoume] Reconfirm your info

  • From: bjeon@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: iyoume@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Oct 2004 06:32:23 -0500

Hi all,

The below is the information which will be projected on a wall at Gallery 2
during the exhibition period.
Please dubble check your info again, and then if you see any problem, please
let me know as soon as possible. I will fix it.

In addition, if you have any names of persons, organization, etc that you want
to express your specail thanks in the show, please give me the names too. I
will put them on the very end of the credit. (Limited space is available.)

Byeong Sam

-P.S.-
DO NOT FORGET THE MEETING ON SATURDAY, OCT. 30TH AT 1:00PM AT GALLERY 2.
It is the very first day of installation period. We will discuss about
installating our work and other small stuffs in terms of the show.

Art Interactions: I=YOU=ME

Art Interactions: I=YOU=ME is a multidiciplinary project curated by Byeong Sam
Jeon, which examines social issues regrading the concept of disability.
Through the exploration of participatory art activities, the project
interconnects the awareness of persons with and without disabilities, and re-
examines the perceived social distinctions between them.

Featuring Michael Erzen, Ium, Byeong Sam Jeon, Kiyoun Kim, Trina Nahm-Mijo,
Monica Ong, Victoria Scott, Kathryn Snell, and Mariya Strauss.

See Like Me
kinetic sculpture
Michael Erzen

This work explores the link between real and perceived disability.  The viewer
is invited to experience the artist?s attempts to overcome visual deficits as
he or she tries to perform an activity while looking through an optic device
designed to simulate an ?eye exam?.   As the viewer attempts to pilot a drawing
robot in order to create an abstract work of art, he or she quickly finds that
the task is hampered by the optic device?s operation of either helping or
hindering their ability to see and therefore participate in the activity.
Meanwhile, like the outside world oblivious to such a hidden challenge to one?s
senses, an audio soundtrack issues taunts or comments of the viewers progress -
or lack thereof.

The purification of sensibility
16mm film works transferred to video
IUM

As I am very keen to my senses, especially to my visual sense, the material
world has led me to delusive idols.  But one day, a vision appeared and
revealed my inner deluded ego, a spiritual blindness which has coveted me for a
long time.  Discerned with my original being, my experiences of delusion and
truth dealt my way to purification.

Miscommunication
interactive sound installation
Byeong Sam Jeon

Miscommunication addresses the issue of language barrier.  To communicate with
each other, most of us use sound, as well as physical gestures.  Even though
sounds have specific meanings in their particular contexts and uses, we often
experience communication barriers with one another.  This raises an important
question: How can we fully understand each other?  By exploring the connection
between movement and sound, meaning and perception, this piece allows
participants to indirectly experience the communication barrier through the
chaos of sound and language.

TOUCH
EL(Electro Luminescence) installation with video projection
Kiyoun Kim

Sign language can sometimes be a more powerful means of communication than
speaking.  When I was going through a difficult period in my life, it was the
love, help and comfort of the Holy Spirit that was able to touch and heal me.
Then, I shared it with my deaf friends. We never spoke words, but rather signed
them.  It was from this experience that I had the strong desire to share these
feelings with other people.  In this work, I use a single channel video with
sound, as well as an EL(Electro Luminescence) installation.  It illuminates a
dark space and moves through this space with sign language.

TBA
single channel video
Trina Nahm-Mijo

The video shows the process of putting together a street performance for a
demonstration for "Disabilities Discrimination Acts Solidarity in Korea" in
April 2003.  In rehearsing and performing together, the barriers--real and
imagined--between disabled and able-bodied melted away.  It expresses the
show's theme I=You=Me and shows how through the art interactions or poetry,
dance and visual arts, we become one in expanding the cultural limitations of
our own making.

Stigma
single channel video

Saving Face
Installation

Monica Ong

As an artist in digital media, my practice blends storytelling and photography
in multi-media installations.  I address the identity politics of my multi-
cultural upbringing speaking specifically on social hierarchies and gender
roles in today?s cultural landscape. Within four generations, my family grew up
in three different cultures: China, Philippines, USA.  My recent work, Stigma
and Saving Face, examine how cultural attitudes towards mental illness
influence the health-seeking behavior of Asian and Asian-American women.
Through imagery, text and sound, I explore the intersections of secrecy and
confession, the magical and the clinical, and ultimately what is honorable and
what is honest in the face of human illness.

4AM
Installation
Victoria Scott

At 4am, you might waken in your comfortable bed and hear a voice in your head
telling you things about yourself that you would never consider in the
daytime.  Some of these thoughts are trivial, some neurotic but in the dark you
are alone with these paralyzing words.  This voice is both you and not you and
it seeks to reveal truths about yourself that would never bear the scrutiny of
daylight.

Hope, minus home
Installation
Kathryn Snell

Sticky, slow, heavy motion. Like walking through mud. home. less.

In collaborative effort, Hope, minus home was conceived of and built by the
residents and staff of the Interfaith House, a nonprofit residential
recuperative center in southwest Chicago.

Breath
Video projection and Drawings
Mariya Strauss

Each person possesses an interior cosmos, yet we lack language to make other
people understand. In translating my interior universe, I oscillate between
desperate muteness and awkward moments of semi-articulate utterance.  Those
utterances made visible are the works displayed here.

Special Thanks:
Todd Cashbaugh, Managing Director of Gallery 2
Randy Vick, Head of Department of Art Therapy, The School of the Art Institute
of Chicago
John Manning, Professor of Department of Art and Technology, The School of the
Art Institute of Chicago
????? ??????, Liberal Arts, DePaul University
Joan Truckenbrod, Professor of Department of Art and Technology, The School of
the Art Institute of Chicago

John Wanzel, Assistant Director of Gallery 2
Kathi Beste, Department of Publication, The Art Institute of Chicago
Nicolas Hilmers, Liberal Arts, DePaul University
Sofia Ji, Sun Sik Jeon, Young Ja Yoo, Ho Sook La
Craig Downs, Director of Circulating Resources, The School of the Art Institute
of Chicago