[iyonix-support] Re: Waste bin utility

  • From: george <george.greenfield@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 24 Apr 2007 22:38:35 +0100

In message <4ed8b70340gary@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Gary Locock <gary@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In article <e8b8a5d84e.druck@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
>    David J. Ruck <druck@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> > Black Hole 2 works fine here.
>
>> > http://www.geocities.com/soho/studios/7251/software.html
>
>> Please avoid giving links to software which is not 32bit compatible on
>> this list, it has generated a considerable amount of unnecessary
>> traffic.
>
> As a matter of interest, does BlackHole2 do what the OP wanted?  The
> functionality question got lost in the noise of making it work at all.

So far the answer seems to be 'yes'.

> The trouble with all the freeware RO bins that I know of, is that you have to
> physically drag the file to the bin.  On the Mac, all deletes go to the bin,
> (dragging works too, but is unnecesary) -which is far less effort and much
> more reliable.  On RO, it is bound to be the only file which you deleted via
> the filer which is the one you didn't want to lose!

Personally, I find, with an OS such as MacOS or RISC OS where
drag-and-drop is widely implemented, it feels more intuitive to drag a
file for deletion to a location (or out of it for recovery) rather
than have to initiate a series of menu choice. It is also quicker.

> Select once had a bin which intercepted all deletes, but that was never
> 32-bit, and (needless to say) was only for Select subscribers.  Is there a RO
> 32-bit bin which implements this?

That would be a nice additional feature, but BlackHole2 seems to do
pretty much what I want as it stands. Thanks to all who contributed to
the thread for their help.

George