[iyonix-support] Re: USB2 on 5.16

  • From: Gavin Smith <gvnsth@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 28 Feb 2010 00:59:27 +0000
On 27 Feb 2010, at 06:51, Ian Hamilton wrote:

> There are two physical hubs in the Iyonix. The USB2 hub is a virtual one.
> Any devices that are USB2 capable will show under the USB2 hub regardless
> of which physical USB port they are plugged into.

Ah, that makes sense. So the keyboard and mouse operate under USB1 but as soon
as I put in a USB flash drive, it showed up under USB2.

>> Possibly unrelated but I've noticed that for my USB keyboard and mouse
>> to both work at power-on, I have to have one on a back port and one on
>> the front. If I have both on the back, only one works - both will work
>> fine if I unplug the non-working device and plug it back in. I
>> remember reading about this years ago but wondered if someone could
>> clarify if there is a fix or just a "quirk" - it's no big deal.
>
> Try running !USBKick (see sig.) as part of your boot sequence.

I did so, with keyboard and mouse on rear USB ports and... success! Then I was
curious and started removing options from !USBKick's Choices to see which one
was the fix - I initially assumed it was the HID refresh but eventually nothing
was ticked and after restarts, both devices were still fine. So I removed
!USBKick from running in !Boot and things are still fine. Now I'm not sure if
something I've done in the last few days has fixed it outside of !USBKick
(though I can't think of anything I've done that would be remotely related to
USB) - or if !USBKick has left something behind in the !Boot sequence that's
bringing both devices to life, even though it's no longer running itself.

> There are a few mice that stop working if you happen to move them while
> the device information is being read. I have a Belkin mouse that exhibits
> this problem so I stopped using it.

The first mouse was a Belkin mouse - the second was a Microsoft mouse (hey,
they make nice mice, if nothing else!)

Thanks for your help Ian
Gavin---