[iyonix-support] Re: USB mass storage drivers

  • From: Dr Peter Young <pnyoung@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 06 Feb 2010 14:34:04 GMT

On 5 Feb 2010  george <george.greenfield@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In message <d799e8e450.jr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>           rickman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>> A short while ago I was looking into installing the faster USB drivers
>> the Jeffrey Lee described on Icon Bar.
>>
>> Then came the discovery that the Iyonix was related to the Tardis and
>> could travel in time and there was much broughhahha
>>
>> In the ensuing excitement I forgot all about the USB improvements, but
>> would now like to take advantage of them.
>>
>> Did they come with the 5.16 ROM? or do they have to be obtained and
>> installed separately?
>>
> They are separate: go to
> https://www.riscosopen.org/content/downloads/other-zipfiles
> and download HardDisk4 (RISC OS 5 disc image, including boot sequence
> and applications. Instructions how to proceed and benchmarks are
> covered in TIB's feature by Jeffrey Lee ("New Iyonix USB mass storage
> drivers released" dated 1 Nov '09).

Many thanks for that link and for the mention of Jeffrey's article.
I'd wondered about the new USB drivers for some time, but wouldn't
have had a clue where they were and how to go about installing them.
They are now installed and working.

> The only thing I'd suggest is to keep your 'old' SCSFS driver (renamed
> 'oldSCSIFS' or suchlike) in case you hit problems and want to
> uninstall the new driver.

Yes, I did that too.

With best wishes,

Peter.

--
Peter, \  /      zfc Yb       \     Prestbury, Cheltenham,  Glos. GL52
Anne    \/ __            __    \                              England.