[iyonix-support] Re: To Flash or Not to Flash

  • From: Steve Fryatt <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 1 Feb 2010 11:43:12 +0000

On 1 Feb, Learning Partners wrote in message
    <49395.86.136.95.42.1265019778.squirrel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> Having a quiet week I had determined to flash the rom with 5.16 but the
> welter of traffic here re problems has caused me to pause. In particular I
> am concerned about reported problems with JPEGs, Ovation Pro and Private
> Eye, the first two of which impact on business critical functions.

Please be more specific.  I have encountered no problems with JPEGs or
O-Pro, and since reflashing I've used O-Pro to edit a monthly newsletter
without issue -- a process that from experience will invariably cause things
to go wrong if they are going to do so.

The issue with PrivateEye seems to be due to the use of an unstable test
version of the software which coincided with the re-flash.

[snip]

> It is very difficult to determine from the postings which naturally tend
> to emphasise problems where the balance of experience lies, and whether an
> update is imminent to fix any acknowledged problems. I would welcome any
> comment on this.

Back at the start of the noise, there were a load of short posts from people
saying "I've done the re-flash; it worked fine."  One or two individuals
seem to be having issues; so far, the cause is far from clear (but in Alex's
case, it looks like a long-standing !Boot problem and not a ROM issue).

> I have downloaded the archives flash-iyo, rom-iyo and soft-iyo, but have
> failed to find the documentation.

It's in the archives, isn't it?

> Do I need any further tools or is the process self-contained.

It's self-contained.

--
Steve Fryatt - Leeds, England

http://www.stevefryatt.org.uk/