[iyonix-support] Re: Shutdown-Restart

  • From: green-ub5@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2007 17:00:01 +0100

In message <71a809f84e.druck@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          "David J. Ruck" <druck@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 24 Jun 2007 Richard Ashbery <riscos@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> If you shutdown the machine by CTRL-Shift-F12 it offers one button -
>> "Restart". Stupidly I have inadvertently pressed the F12 key again by
>> mistake instead of the 'Return' key. The machine responds by
>> displaying the normal single white command bar with its CLI prompt at
>> the bottom of the screen and then powers down..

>> When the machine is re-powered I get an error:
>> Disc error 23 at :4 C00 which presumably means the disc can't be
>> found.

> How did you then power it down? Did you use the switch at the back?

> If I've accidentally hit the prompt instead of shutting down I usually
> ctrl+break to reset and go back to the desktop to shutdown again
> properly. However ctrl+break sometimes (usually after as crash)
> doesn't do a successful reset and hangs although at least once I've
> had a similar disc error from it. The solution is usually to perform a
> reset using the reset button rather than ctrl+break.

>> Recovery is possible by leaving the machine off for about 10 minutes
>> and then re-powering. Have other users discovered this? Is there a
>> patch to stop this happening or do I have to pay more attention to
>> what my fingers are doing?

> Once after using the switch at the back to turn off I had a bit of
> difficulty getting it to boot up again, the power light came on and
> nothing else happened. but that was solved after leaving it off for a
> short while. There could be some PSU ramp us issue after being fully
> powered down but nor leaving long enough to discharge capacitors.

> Cheers
> ---Dave
This is interesting, I am a new Iyonix user with a very new Iyonix. On
trying the original error on my machine restart gave a screen of black
& white horizontal stripes which RESET did not clear. Switching off at
the back and leaving a bit restored normal service.

I don't know if this helps or confuses the issue!

Peter Green