[iyonix-support] Re: Resolver not working

  • From: rickman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 03 Feb 2010 18:14:18 +0100

          Jeremy Nicoll - freelists iyo only  wrote:
> rickman@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>> I think that Resolver is not working  on my Iyonix 5.16.
>>
>> Web access not affected very much. Immediately after bootup NetSurf
>> has to be recycled three or four times before it will go and find
>> anything on the Web.

> I have a feeling that NetSurf implements its own resolver (presumably so
> that the same code does DNS on all its cross-platform implementations rather
> than relying on underlying OS-provided facilities).  I don't recall why I
> think this though.
It makes sense although Firefox also need a kick on my Iyo before it
will work.
> If I'm right the need to "recycle" (by which I read later you mean stop the
> attempted page fetch and restart it) would tend to suggest that the router
> is being slow getting its DNS act together.

It is not just a question of speed. If I start NetSurf and leave
it alone for 10 minutes it still needs the three kicks on the reload
button before it will resolve internet addresses.

> How often do you reboot the router?

As infrequently as I can, but probably 4 times a week.

>> The A9Home and my wife's RISC PC work without any trouble It is just
>> the Iyo that is having a problem. All the machines are each plugged
>> into the same Vigor router.

> (I have an earlier Vigor router than you so I don't know if yours has the
> same set of diagnostic screens etc as mine has.)

> You said later that IP addresses are assigned by MAC.  You've not changed
> the NIC in the Iyonix have you?  If you log in to the router does it show
> the Iyo's MAC actually having an IP address assigned?

yes - If I list the ethernet ARP table it is in there with the other
machines on the network

> If you reboot the router while the Iyo is unplugged from it, then log in to
> the router from the RPC, then plug in the Iyo, do you see the router seeing
> the Iyo becoming attached and having its IP address assigned?

Yes.

John

--
Midland User Group - http://mug.riscos.org
Grace is almost the whole point of climbing.