[iyonix-support] Re: Problem installing Firefox-2-r2

  • From: Paul Vigay <lists-nospam@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2007 10:40:11 +0000 (GMT)

In article <f705b6c24e.peter@xxxxxxxxxx>,
   Peter Naulls <peter@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> very little money.   But if I'm going to be undermined because Paul Vigay
> or anyone else can't be arsed to make any effort to cooperate and be
> contempt with half-arsed and mediocre measures, then there really isn't
> much point, and the decision for RISC OS to remain a backwards OS has
> already been made.

Now hang on a minute! I take offence at that comment (and I also take
offence at being blackmailed - for anyone who doesn't know, Peter has now
privately emailed me insisting that I remove my article on getting Firefox
working!).

I am not a developer of your calibre, and I've no idea where to start on
fixing problems in Firefox. I don't even have the equipment needed to
compile it - as you've insisted in the past that I should buy another
(Linux) machine in order to compile stuff. I can't see what's so wrong
about using my Iyonix and Castle C compiler!

By repeatedly refusing to offer help or explain why things do wrong, a
large number of people are denied from using your otherwise useful Firefox2
port. Would you rather a quick 'bodge' which lets people try it out? or
just deny people the ability to use it, which kind of defeats the object of
porting it in the first place if people subsequently can't use it anyway.

I've no idea what you're wanting people to do. I'd love to help develop
Firefox and/or help solve the underlying issues, but I don't have that kind
of experience when when you won't even answer simple questions. To be
honest, with your current attitude, I don't have the inclination to learn -
especially when I'm extremely busy with other development work.

If you're disappointed at people's lack of development skills, then I could
say that I'm gravely disappointed by your apparent lack of 'people skills'.
It would save *much* more time by explaining things in a less
confrontational manner rather than going off onto a rant because your
idealistic view of RISC OS development isn't being adhered to.

I'll ask one last time. If I remove my article (as you want me to), then
how does that help Iyonix users who wish to run your firefox port but are
met with multiple errors on start-up, and with a lack of documentation
supplied with it? Are you going to provide a solution or detailed
instructions as to how people can actually run Firefox for the first time?

And no, package managers won't help with default choices. That's not the
job of a package manager. A correctly written application should either
startup without any required default choices, or it should ideally just
create it's own set of default choices.

This will be my last posting on this thread because it's now becoming
increasingly difficult to communicate with you rationally on this topic.

Paul

--
List replies: Email address IS genuine, include -nospam

Quality Internet, Domain Registration & Hosting - www.orpheusinternet.co.uk/