[iyonix-support] Re: Pen drive problems after upgrading

  • From: Iyonix PC Owner <iyonix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2007 08:11:57 +0100

On Thu, 22 Mar 2007, Tennant Stuart wrote:

[snip]
Though properly named, when copied to my Iyonix via USB they become weirdies
like INOURT~9/MP3 with file types of &FFD or &FE4 - I have to set each back to
&1AD, then by hand rename to something like "In Our Time Archimedes Jan 25".

Using an USB stick / pendrive as a tranport medium from PCs to RISC OS
machines always involves RISC OS's DOS FS, which has got a file naming
scheme of eightDOTthree characters.

So even if Windows on the PC copies the files in good condition, with
long file names etc, DOS FS on the RISC OS machine will just see the
truncated version of the file name and thus lose the file type infor-
mation.

How would I repair them with PC tools? Can this be done automatically?

I'd rather avoid these problems by using FTP as transport for the files.
Then file naming and file typing should be alright, if you use binary
mode to transfer the files.

Rainer
--
Rainer Schubert                       mailto:iyonix@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx