[iyonix-support] Re: Pen drive problems after upgrading

  • From: tennant@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Tennant Stuart)
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2007 09:13:09 +0000

On Wed 21 Mar 2007 (19:31:35), David J. Ruck wrote:
>On 21 Mar 2007 Nick Roberts wrote:

>> This also confirmed something I had noticed before with floppy
>> discs - long filenames that appear fine on the Iyonix frequently
>> appear truncated to 6 chars + tilde + digit + extension on the PC.
>> It appears that what DOSFS thinks the format should be is somewhat
>> at variance with what WinNT and WinXP think it should be.

> DOSFS's handling of longfile names is flawed and can cause minor
> corruption of directory structures but it only results in the long
> names being lost. This can be repaired with PC tools.

This often happens with BBC podcasts which a friend downloads on his laptop.

Though properly named, when copied to my Iyonix via USB they become weirdies
like INOURT~9/MP3 with file types of &FFD or &FE4 - I have to set each back to
&1AD, then by hand rename to something like "In Our Time Archimedes Jan 25".

How would I repair them with PC tools? Can this be done automatically?

Tennant Stuart
--