[iyonix-support] Re: PSU below spec?

  • From: Bernard Boase <b.boase@xxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2007 21:12:33 GMT

In message <712f0cb74e.DMcD@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
          David Mc Dowell <david.mcdowell@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I would just replace the HEC with Q-Tec from Iyonix Ltd. 58GBP inc P+P
> save hassle fully guaranteed to be correct spec!
>
> I have recently done this - my symptoms included erratic harddisc perfomance
> failing to boot properly, lots of errors requiring copious use of DiscKnight-
> also Error 26's, (IDE cable CRC errors) and data lost errors, (as others have
> reported) these were in the  main 'spurious errors' caused by a failing
> power supply.
>
> More usually its low 5 volt (symptom of noisy/dirty waveform due to dried out
> capacitors) gives the most problems.

Thanks for the details. I too was losing internet connectivity
intermittently, but hadn't suspected the PSU until the disc errors
started, when I applied my DVM to the 12V supply. I didn't actually
check the 5V as well.

CJE Micro's have supplied me with a new HEC PSU for £43 which I have
installed, and things seem much improved. The measured 12V supply now
sits at 12.30!

--
Bernard