[iyonix-support] Re: New version of MiscSetup available

  • From: "Ste (PlusNet)" <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: iyonix-support@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2007 13:40:29 +0000 (GMT)

On 03 Dec, Roger Darlington <rogerarm@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I don't know why, for a site that claims to be open source, the binaries
> are so hard to find.
>
> The people at ROOL are doing a very good job, but the results do seem
> somewhat hidden.

Erm, click on the "Downloads" link and read the first sentence, which tells
you pretty much what you're looking for (binary archives). Is that so hard?
Ultimately, our site is set up primarily for people who want to get at the
source code and add features, not quite so much for the curious onlooker.

You're more than welcome to have a look, try things and join in with the
forums, wiki and bug tracker. Just don't expect any shrink-wrapped and
tested products to download because we're not yet in a position to offer
that.

Finally, if you find something hard to understand or you learn something
which you think would be of benefit to others, don't keep it to yourself -
tell us by adding your comments to our site.

> But beware!
>
> When I put all the new modules that are in there as well into my Iyonix,
> I then got a lot of errors and crashes.

Absolutely! These are components spanning the whole OS, from the lowest
levels up to the applications. You cannot just double-click some of them and
expect them to work as they need special measures to integrate them into
your boot sequence.

Also, they should be treated as beta quality code because we don't have the
facilities to test them against lots of hardware and OS combinations in the
way that you'd expect a commercial organisation who are selling you a
product to do.

> [...] URL_Fetcher module. But when that module (and others) are placed on
> my Iyonix in the correct places, all sorts of problems arise. So I don't
> bother with any program that wants 0.41 URL_Fetcher module (at least until
> such time as any problems have been sorted). I haven't reported the
> problem to ROOL - I'm not quite sure that what I say is correct. I'm not
> even sure whether these modules are supposed to be Iyonix compatible, or
> not. Give it a whirl. Does it work for you?

I run Browse and Phoenix on an IYONIX all the time without problems. The URL
fetcher in our ROOL release is currently 0.55. Make a note of the problems
you encounter and put something on our site (e.g. in the forums) and we or
someone else out there may be able to help.

Steve

--
Steve @ PlusNet